Wednesday, August 17, 2011

rubbin' lucky elephants

it's true. i've been rubbing my elephant raw. that is, the wooden elephant key chain i got for free at this awesome shop near MG road. i've been slinging my bag a certain way so i can keep it close to my left hand. whenever i get anxious i rub it and count its feet and even rub my thumb on its bell. i have a feeling ten years from now i'm going to look back at this last paragraph and think, "wow, 21 year old donelyn was reallyyy funnyy."

but it's true! i've been so scared here. one time the rickshaw wallah drove so crazy-- he beowulfed his body back and forth like his damn auto didn't have power steering, so i rubbed my elephant. today they said we'd be walking up the 1001 ish steps of chamundi hill so i rubbed my elephant in hopes that i could get over my fear of heights and going down stairs (we ended up driving up the hill!). once we were stopped at an atm when most shops were closed or closing up (around 9pm) and i rubbed my elephant and ticked the bell in hopes that we wouldn't get mugged (we didn't). and sometimes, i sit in my room and rub the elephant so that i'm not self conscious anymore, or so that i'm not homesick, or so that i'm not plagued with the self imposed obligations i get from meeting some people here.

this elephant key chain has been my proverbial rock in india, and yet, yesterday was the first day i saw wild elephants! we went on a 45 min safari in tamil nadu (yes, we left karnataka state to see animals! it was cheaper. Rs60 compared with the Rs1100 Karnataka Natl Park was trying to charge foreigners). i saw peacocks, deer, a warthog and ELEPHANTS! no tigers even though it was a frikin tiger reserve. even with all the mental ups and downs i've been going through i feel totally grateful and lucky to have been a part of this trip. for this last week i'm going to be rubbing the crap out of my elephant (you know, because i haven't gotten enough crap from walking the city streets)-- not only to get me through without any homesickness or physical sickness, but also in thanks-- thank you mr. free wooden elephant for being there for me on my trip of lifetime.

3 comments:

  1. i’m glad you have a friend :) but just so we’re clear--you can’t rub ash and i when you come home. our friendship hasn’t reached that point :) i’m quite happy you saw ze animals! now, you are truly BEAST. brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heheh. good thing you got to see an elephant! it'd be like going to, uhh, iran and not seeing any camels. not cool.
    now hurry up and come back and let me see this wooden elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno--I might let her rub me. O_o did they teach you any good massage techniques over there? That would be the ONLY exception. =P I'm glad you're coming back soon!

    ReplyDelete